1. Why do business with a housing counsellor?

A housing counsellor, member of the ACHQ, is a professional who will be able to perfectly identify your needs. This will allow him or her to target the living environment that best suits your situation and your budget. Since he/she has in-depth knowledge of all the residences in the area, the ACHQ counsellor will guide you through this process and assist you throughout the entire process.

2. Can I contact more than one housing counsellor?

Housing counsellors usually prefer to ask for exclusivity in this support process. Not only is it important to create a bond of trust with the counsellor, so that he or she can identify your needs very well, but this way of doing things also avoids creating confusion in your research.

In fact, if several people are working simultaneously on the same file, similar requests to the same residences will be made twice on behalf of the same future tenants. It is therefore important to work in collaboration with only one housing counsellor at a time.

3. How much do your services cost?

The answer is very simple: there is no charge for our services. The private seniors’ residences (RPA’s) pay the fees for residents who are accompanied by residential advisers.

4. Will the cost of my housing be higher if I work with a housing counsellor?

Absolutely not. The residence respects the price established for each unit, regardless of whether the prospective resident is accompanied or not. That said, the total cost of the same type of housing could vary depending on the care and services that the resident chooses to add to the lease or not.

5. What types of accommodation or residences can you find for me?

We work with all certified private residences. This includes residences for autonomous or semi-autonomous persons, also known under the official name of “private residence for seniors (RPArésidence privée pour aîné(e)s), private nursing home (CHSLD – Centre hospitalier de soins de longue durée) and family-style residences


6. Are there any private seniors’ residences (RPA’s) that can meet my specific needs?

Yes, but not all RPAs. This is why we will take them into account in our research to find THE residence that best meets your criteria and your needs.

7. Do I have to eat all my meals in the residence dining room?

There are residences where meals are optional (RPA’s) and others where meals are mandatory. We will also take them into account in our research according to your wishes and budget.

8. Can I continue to have my family doctor even if the residence offers the services of an on-site physician?

By opting for a private seniors’ residence (RPA’s), you are free to choose whether or not to do business with the doctor working there. It is always possible to keep your family doctor, if you wish. Some residences may have a family doctor on site who could become your own, which would make appointments easier and limit travel.

9. Can the housekeeper I have had for a long time continue to come to my home in residence?

As with the previous question, RPA’s cannot require you to purchase housekeeping services for the residence. You are free to choose whether or not to subscribe to it, and to keep your housekeeper, if you wish to do so. On the other hand, other types of residences (other than RPA’s) make it an obligation. An ACHQ housing counsellor can direct you to a residence that will allow you to meet your needs.

10. Are there private seniors’ residences (RPA’s) that meet the needs of persons with loss of autonomy?

Yes, several private seniors’ residences do offer a range of services to meet the needs of people with loss of autonomy. However, it is important to be aware of the limits (capacity and services offered) of each residence in order to make an informed choice. The ACHQ housing counsellors will guide you through this process.

11. How do I find the residence that best suits my needs?

The best way to do this is to carefully and frankly assess your needs, expectations, physical condition and budget. The housing counsellor has the expertise and skills to make the best assessment possible. It will then be easier to find a residence that best suits your needs.

12. How can I be sure that the residence will respect its offer of services and care?

Let’s first say that a lease is a contract between two parties (a tenant and a landlord). This implies that both parties have rights and obligations. The lease in a seniors’ residence should include, in addition to the lease from the Régie du logement, the Appendix 6 which determines the cost and the list of care and services you wish to receive from the residence. You will therefore be able to make a decision that is most appropriate for your condition. By jointly signing the lease, the parties formally agree to respect the clauses and conditions of the lease, including the care and services to which you have subscribed, in full knowledge of the facts and in complete freedom.

In the event that the residence does not provide the expected care and services, you will have the right to file a complaint and demand that your lease be respected.

13. Should there be a change in my health status, could I change my choice of services/care during the term of the lease?

Yes, by staying in a progressive residence (offering several types of care and services), it will be possible to add services during the term of the lease. However, it is important to take into account that some RPA’s may consider that your physical or health condition no longer meets the minimum conditions for housing you.

14. Are housing counsellors linked to private seniors’ residences or are they independent of them?

Housing counsellors, members of the ACHQ, are independent and work with all certified residences. They are therefore not tied exclusively to certain residences.

15. What is the difference between a private seniors’ residence (RPA’s) and a long-term care facility (CHSLD)?

A private residence for seniors (RPA) is managed by a single private owner or by a group of shareholders, whereas long-term care centers (CHSLD’s) are generally public entities managed by the government. However, there are also privately owned CHSLD’s. 

In order to have access to a public CHSLD, it is mandatory to first be taken care of by a social worker from a local community health center (CLSC) or hospital. It is also important to know that CHSLD’s accommodate people with a certain level of loss of autonomy. 

The other main difference lies in the costs which, in public CHSLD’s, are partially covered by the government (Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux – MSSS). When you reside in a RPA’s or a private nursing home (CHSLD), you must assume all costs, because they are privately operated.

16. Are there waiting lists for private seniors’ residences (RPA’s)?

Normally, the majority of private seniors’ residences do not have a waiting list. Only the availability of the desired room or accommodation may vary. In general, the relocation period can therefore be fairly short.

1474, rue Fleury Est
Suite 100
Montréal (Québec)
H2C 1S1